Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week #9, Thing #22: eBooks

Ok, I have to admit it...I have been slacking. The last week of school was nuts and once I was out of school, all things library slipped completely (well, kind of) out of my head for a few weeks. But here I sit at school, having a work day, attempting to finish my 23 Things while the beautiful sun shines down on the 90 degree weather outside. Alas, I wish I was sitting outside with Harry Potter and a cold lemonade.

Instead, I am attempting to search the World eBook Fair for free downloads from Project Gutenberg. Unfortunately, it's telling me to come back between July 4 and August 4 for the Fair...so until then, I have no choice but to wait patiently for the next two weeks until I can search. But since I need to finish these Things by July 1, I've decided to explore other avenues for finding ebooks. My favorite is the online tour of the British Library's online gallery. I used to live in London and LOVE the British Library, but this is the coolest thing I have seen in months!!!!!! Jane Austen is one of my personal favorites, and being able to "turn the pages" of her history of England, seeing her handwriting and little drawings, is AMAZING. I love technology!

Another favorite was Lewis Carroll's original manuscript for Alice...all the beautiful detailed drawings and neat penmanship, including little page numbers in the upper corners. This is simply amazing. What a great resource for teaching primary documents, eBooks, or simply internet exploration. This one's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment