Friday, April 3, 2009

Week #3, Thing #7: Photos and Images (Technology Tidbits)

What interests me about technology this week? As much as I hate to admit it, my new fascination is video games. When I was a little kid, I was a huge gamer. My little brother and I were Nintendo royalty, and king and queen of Mario and the many lands in which he lived. When we advanced to a new system, we had a lot of Disney games: the Lion King, Aladdin, etc. Again, I was pretty darn good. Then I reached high school and my interest in video games all but disappeared. It wasn't until just recently that my boyfriend reintroduced me to the world of gaming by means of PS3 and Call of Duty. Don't get me wrong--I don't play CoD, nor do I really enjoy watching him play. There is far too much violence and loud noise (much of which is coming from the man on the couch!). With that in mind, let me say that the technology involved with created these games absolutely blows my mind.

The fact that he can sit at home on the couch and play this game with other team members who are sitting on couches in Las Vegas, Portland, Albany, and Miami is just amazing to me. He can use his Bluetooth to chat to his friend Adam, another CoD player, about where the other team members are hiding while at the same time making plans for the weekend. He can move around the battle fields and war zones with the perspective of actually seeing through the eyes of his character, and seeing blood splatter when he's made a kill.

Don't get me wrong, I will NEVER be involved in playing Call of Duty. But it sure is amazing to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment