Friday, April 3, 2009

Week #3, Thing #5: Photos and Images

For this week's discovery exercise, I decided to do all I can to learn about Flickr, so I created an account. You can view my Flickr photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepunkylibrarian/.

The photos in my STMS Library set on the right are in chronological order from newest to oldest, but I haven't figured out how to do something very basic--change the order of photos in my stream once they are uploaded. Ahhh, technology. I need to keep playing and I'm sure that I will figure it out, but so far I have learned that Flickr is much easier to use than I originally anticipated. Uploaded, editing, and doing tasks such as tagging and creating sets are straightforward and I am having tons of fun exploring the groups option. I had no idea that so many different groups existed! Before yesterday, I assumed that Flickr was simply a photosharing site for family and friends, but it is possible to join groups, send messages, comment on photos, and really explore the world through other people's pictures. I found tons of groups dedicated to sharing pictures of craft show displays and set-ups, one of my current loves/frustrations. This group helped my brain start moving with ideas!

As I grow older (currently at the ripe old age of 26!), I am finding that sites such as MySpace seem to cater toward a younger group of users; Flickr would be a great place for me to continue photo communication with my friends and family around the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment