Friday, May 8, 2009

Week #6, Thing #15: The Future of Libraries and 2.0

I read a few of these 2.0 perspectives, and the one that I appreciated the most is Michael Stephens "Into a New World of Librarianship." I loved the concept of Librarian 2.0 and how today's "Librarian 2.0, then, is the 'strategy guide' for helping users find information, gather knowledge and create content." What a great characterization for today's librarians! While I think that this article seemed to be written more about public librarians, there are certainly applicable traits for School Librarians 2.0 included in Stephens' article.

The concept of a Librarian 2.0 planning for her users is central in school libraries. We need to plan for our users needs and wants. I work extremely hard to take my kids ideas and recommendations into account when ordering materials, making policies, and publicizing new programs. If my students' needs AND wants are not being met, I'm not doing the best job that I can in planning for my users.

Librarian 2.0 "gets content." Students creating content in the library is one of my favorite sights to see. When my students are able to find information and create content based upon their research and information, or take content and mash it up to create new content, they are creating learning and knowledge. I do everything that I can to get kids in here to do just that! On the same note, I am certainly attempting to embrace Web 2.0 tools...one of the main reasons that I'm doing this program is to find Web 2.0 tools to incorporate into my curriculum.

A few of the other characteristics, such as "controlling technolust" don't apply as well in my library, but I hope that I am embracing the Librarian 2.0 profile and applying these characteristics in my own library. From my view, Library 2.0 means embracing the changing technology, patrons, and world itself. Library 2.0 means that my school library will be a place for students to find information and create content, a place for students to interact, a place for students to embrace Web 2.0 tools that I promote. I find that so many educators get caught up in day-to-day struggles with student discipline, constant grading, new initiatives, etc. that we forget to take time to examine exactly why we are educators in the first place, and what we can do differently (and better!) to make our space the most positive area full of learning that is possible. Making my library a Library 2.0 will certainly keep me on the path to greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment