Monday, May 18, 2009

Week #7, Thing #16 and #16A: Wikis and library innovation

It has taken me several days to complete this post because we are almost done with the school year (yeaaaaa!) and we are so busy! In any case, my many days of reading and examining wikis have come to an end and I am finally ready to tell the world my thoughts.

I took a look through several of the wikis posted on the page, including the Book Lovers wiki, the best practices wiki, and the wonderful teacherlibrarian wiki run by Joyce Valenza. The networking and collaboration powers of wikis are endless! I am so glad that I stumbled upon this wiki, but I wish that it was somehow better "advertised" in library land...or maybe it has been, and I've been missing it. In any case, I think that wikis have wonderful power to enable us, as librarians, to learn about what's going on with other librarians, add content to already fantastic suggestions and lessons, and use wikis to have students add content to a curricular-based wiki. I find that as a second year middle school librarian, I'm still working so hard to get my collection in order, build collaborative relationships with teachers, manage classroom behavior, and deal with my frustrating technology situation, that I'm often hesitant to approach teachers with ideas for projects (such as a project using wikis) because I am too concerned about other things. This is such a great tool that the best way to handle this will be to get more comforable with wikis and how they work, set one up and play around with it, and come up with a great project. Only when I know the ins and outs of wikis will I feel comforable using them in my library, but what great potential they have!

No comments:

Post a Comment